Saturday 16 July 2011

The Citizens Foundation (TCF): A gateway to a brighter future!

Why is life full of random acts? I have always asked myself about the uncertainty of life. I have always questioned the factors which contributed towards my birth in a good financial standing family:  A family which paid for my sibling’s and my education; a family which fulfilled all my wishes and also provided for my unnecessary wants.

A few days back, while I was in Karachi, Pakistan waiting on a traffic light, a child around nine years of age appeared at my car’s window and asked if he could wash my car. When I said no, he humbly started asking for money for food. That day, I was with my nephew, who is of the same age as that of the poor boy who stood outside my car. When I looked at my nephew and the boy on the street, a sudden jolt shook me and I questioned, why do these two boys have two completely different fates.  Despite being of the same age, why don’t they have same necessities of life when they have the same wants? Is it because there is so much uncertainty in life that the randomization of fate allows a few children, like my nephew, to go to a good private school, get good hygienic food and wear whatever they like.

Humanitarians for generations have been endeavoring to solve the problem of ‘world-wide hunger’, ‘primary health’ and ‘basic education for all’.  But there is no straight answer to these burning problems. But one should ask oneself: what can I do to help the unfortunate? What can I do to contribute in some capacity to reduce these problems from society? If we think that we might not be able to completely eradicate these problems from our community and sit back, nothing will ever get solved. Every deed big or small counts! We have to try in our own little way to make sure that these under privileged children get what yours and my nieces and nephews have

These children, who are trapped in the vicious cycle of poverty, if supported can grow up to be doctors, engineers, pilots and most of all better human beings. We all can make an effort to give these children a chance to change their lives and the lives of their families. Pragmatically thinking, our efforts may not flip the fate of these children by 180 degree overnight, but it might at least help these children stay out of trouble and for starters get some grass root level jobs to support themselves. I am very optimistic, that small steps like these will evolve into bigger changes in each following generations. One fine day we will find out that the young children whom we supported a decade or two earlier are now responsible adults leading their families into a better and brighter future. “The Citizen’s Foundation (TCF)” (http://www.thecitizensfoundation.org) is one such organization in Pakistan which is providing these kids with affordable and good quality education with the help of its worldwide sponsors.

During my stay in Karachi, Pakistan, I had a chance to visit one of the TCF’s Primary School Campus (The Shirin Sultan Dossa Campus - XV) near Zoological Garden and had a change to meet with the Principal of that campus. She explained me how a typical campus under TCF network functions and how the curriculum is designed. The amount of planning and effort goes in to nurturing the students and in maintaining the quality of education and overall standard of the school.  Later, she gave me a tour of the classrooms. At first, I thought that I would be happy if I simply saw the classrooms and shared some candy with the pupils which I got for them on the way to the school.

But as soon as I stepped into the classrooms, I was pleasantly surprised. There was a positive vibe in the air and children were happy being taught different subjects. They were full of confidence and didn’t shy away when they were given a task. Their uniforms were neat and clean and they exhibited poise and good demeanor. The environment was comparable to any local private school. I visited almost all the classrooms in the primary section and met with the respective pupils. I carried around a basket of chocolates which I thought I would distribute among these children. But then I decided to let student earn these chocolates. Therefore every time we stepped in a class, we tried to randomly ask few questions and rewarded the student with chocolate if they answered them correctly. I was so surprised to see that these children were full of confidence and were never shy of coming forward. I was amazed to experience the zeal in these pupils. My heart was assured that good education and quality time can restore self-confidence in less privileged children, can infuse them with courage to face life’s problems with dignity and can enlighten them with a positive approach towards life.

I spent nearly three hours with these kids but they were enough to make me believe d that in life, everyone can be a winner. Along the way, towards the destination, some people might limp and some might race to the end. If we are all heading towards one direction, on the way we can always help people who lag behind and walk side-by-side with them so that we all can reach the zenith together and celebrate the moment of achievement. Happiness multiplies and lasts longer only when it is shared with others.

Currently there are 102,000 students enrolled with approximately 50% female enrollment. 86% of TCF students who gave Matric exams have secured first division (this number is significantly higher than the national Matric passing average). I have witnessed that TCF is making a huge difference in these children’s lives. I can proudly say that I am supporting a cause which is helping a child to fulfill his dream; a dream that one day he will become a responsible, educated and productive member of society; a dream that one day he will strive for the betterment of others.

Below are some pictures that I took during my visit to TCF campus. I thought I might share them with you. Thank you so much for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment